Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education is situated on Kamarajar Salai, Triplicane, Chennai – 600 005, just 3kms from the Fort St. George, the head quarters of Government of Tamilnadu. In the year 1922, this Institute of Teacher Training was named ‘Lady Willingdon Training School’ after ‘Lady Willingdon’ wife of Lord Willingdon, then Governor of Madras Presidency.
The pioneer Principal Miss. J.M. Gerrard, had a vision of stately edifice, facing the sea, shaped like ‘W’. Her vision materialized when a Scottish architect, under her guidance designed the present building into which the college moved in 1940.
The majestic building in the premises of 16 acres overlook the world famous sprawling Marina Beach beside the Bay of Bengal, which is one of the longest and beautiful beaches of the world indeed.
To its north, just a few meters away, lie the Guest House of the University of Madras, the beautiful palatial building of the Presidency College, the P.W.D. building and the famous Madras University; to its south, the Queen Mary’s College, the office of the Director General of Police, the All India Radio Station and the historical Santhome Cathedral Church are situated.
It is easily accessible by road and also by railways through M.R.T.S.
In 1922-24 the first batch of 23 women graduate teachers were presented
to the Licentiate in teaching examination of the Madras University and they
obtained the L.T. Degree.
Initially the college offered two levels of teacher training programmes for women viz.,
1. Licentiate in Teaching for graduate
2. Secondary Grade Teacher Training for post-metric students and elementary Grade Teacher Training for those who completed the school course.
In 1941, the L.T. Degree was replaced by the B.T. Degree (Bachelor of Training). From the year 1972-73 B.T. Degree was replaced by B.Ed. Degree. From 1964-99 Tamil Pandit Course was functional. In 1972 M.Ed. course was started as Evening College course which was converted into regular course in 1981. In 1991 the Lady Willingdon College of Education was upgraded and renamed as ‘Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education’. From 1998-99 M.Phil. in Education both full time and part time courses were started. In 2000, Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education was the ‘FIRST’ Government Institution to be accredited at the level of FIVE STARS by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC). Lady Willingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education celebrated its Golden Jubilee, Diamond Jubilee and Platinum Jubilee in the year 1972, 1983 and 1999 respectively. The College was granted Autonomous status by the UGC on 5.07.2006. The college was accredited B++ level by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in the year 31.03.2007. The College is affiliated to Tamilnadu Teachers Education University from the year 2008.